kinda OT: latest fun with Arduino, UI with a single knob/button and screen.

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 20:19:41 MST 2013

On 02/03/2013 01:51 PM, Levi Pearson wrote:
> Arduino is awesome to introduce people to embedded programming, but
> experienced programmers ought to branch out and see what else is available.

I may look down that road eventually.  However, Arduino itself is not
locked to any particular platform or microprocessor.  It's been ported
to a variety of chips with great success.  On Arm, for example, you can
do ISRs and interrupt masking as you describe.  There's nothing inherent
in Arduino that limits this.  You're free to use as much of the
abstraction framework or as little as you'd like.  I for one am not
interested in the nitty gritty details of setting registers to get a
read on a signal on a wire.

One of my arduino-based projects I ported over to AtTiny and now have a
tiny circuit with zero external circuitry needed for the processor.
Port is too strong a word... I just recompiled it for a different
target.  No Arduino boot loader, but the arduino libraries still work fine.

> I also recommend James Grenning's excellent book on using Test-Driven
> Development for Embedded Systems Programming. (Author's name should be
> correct, but I probably mangled the title). It's a great tool for embedded
> development, because it's Way easier to debug on your build machine than on
> your dev board!

Yeah debugging is a weak spot in the Arduino system.