24 Million entries and I need to what?

James Noble noblejames at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 21:10:20 MST 2013

On Friday, December 27, 2013, Levi Pearson wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > Well Levi you would be quite correct if the intent were to actually seek
> > collision across 256 bits of space.  That is not what I'm going for here.
> >  In my mind detecting a collision would be evidence of a flawed
> > implementation of the hashing algorithm which is what my experiment is
> > actually seeking to uncover.  So I'm checking the specific implementation
> > to rule out a flaw, not nessecarily the algorithm.
>
> It's still the wrong way to do it, and for pretty much the same reasons.
>
> Does it rule out anything?  It seems to me that it only rules out a
collision with your data set.  If someone enters a slightly different
phrase it could cause a collision. I would think the only way to rule it
out is to send all possible character combinations at the problem and see
if a collision occurs. For example you could limit the data set by only
using character strings between 4 and 8 characters. That is a finite set
you could test and rule out collisions from that set.

--
James Noble
noblejames at gmail.com