What do you use to manager passwords?

Eric Olsen falconv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 11:06:52 MST 2013

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Nicholas Stewart <nicholas4 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm in the process of switching from Mac to Ubuntu.
>
> What password manager do you use?  (I currently use 1Password on Mac.)
>
> How do you securely make your passwords available on different
> computers? e.g. some people store their 1password file in Dropbox
>
> Thank you,
> Nicholas Stewart

I use LastPass, it's a browser plug-in, so fairly easy for them to keep
universal; has installers for Linux/Mac/Windows. If you pay a subscription
fee for Premium you also get  their mobile devices app
(Android/iOS/Windows/Blackberry), though I can't vouch for how well those
work, I've never paid for the service.

It claims to be secure, however not long ago (within the past year) they
were compromised, so customers were urged to change their LastPass password
as well as all of their websites' passwords.

I've not seen another (though I may not have done "due diligence") that had
the quality of browser integration that LastPass has. My dream is to one
day see one with the seamless integration of LastPass, but that allows me
to host my own password database, and gives more control over it so I can
have shared passwords with select people.

-Eric