December Meeting: ZFS on Linux (Aaron Toponce)

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 16:14:22 MST 2013

On 12/23/2013 01:29 PM, Daniel Fussell wrote:
> On 12/14/2013 12:56 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
>> But I've also lost a lot of data to XFS quirks as well, mostly due to
>> truncated files. Apparently that's a feature of XFS.
> The only time I've had truncated files in XFS is when a windows user
> connected to a samba share opens a file when near the quota hard limit,
> and in process of writing goes over the hard limit.  I also had problems
> on 2.4 kernels where the quota metadata would suddenly show the user
> having several petabytes in use (way over quota), and I'd have to turn
> off quota accounting and reboot, thus forcing it to rebuild all the
> quota metadata.  But I haven't had that problem in probably 5 years or so.
>
> My biggest problem with XFS is my users keep putting more larger and
> larger files on it, forcing me to keep buying more disk and expanding
> the filesystems.

My losses were due to a couple of UPS failures that shut down the array
(twice, sigh).  Any open file in XFS is apparently truncated (or was at
the time I used XFS) when power is lost.  At least that's what I recall
reading at the time.  Could be wrong.  I definitely believe that XFS is
an extremely robust file system if you have reliable hardware.