December Meeting: ZFS on Linux (Aaron Toponce)

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Mon Dec 23 13:29:55 MST 2013

On 12/14/2013 12:56 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> But I've also lost a lot of data to XFS quirks as well, mostly due to
> truncated files. Apparently that's a feature of XFS.
The only time I've had truncated files in XFS is when a windows user
connected to a samba share opens a file when near the quota hard limit,
and in process of writing goes over the hard limit.  I also had problems
on 2.4 kernels where the quota metadata would suddenly show the user
having several petabytes in use (way over quota), and I'd have to turn
off quota accounting and reboot, thus forcing it to rebuild all the
quota metadata.  But I haven't had that problem in probably 5 years or so.

My biggest problem with XFS is my users keep putting more larger and
larger files on it, forcing me to keep buying more disk and expanding
the filesystems.

;-Daniel