Pro/Cons on Mint vs. Gentoo?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 18:03:17 MST 2013

On 12/19/2013 05:03 PM, Lonnie Olson wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Jacob Albretsen <jakea at xmission.com> wrote:
>> Point of the story:  If you need something supported long term, use a long
>> term support distro.
>
> Doh, I didn't realize that Fedora doesn't have any long term support
> options.  Bummer.

Depending on how you look at it, it does.  Fedora's long-term support
version is Red Hat Enterprise Linux, or for most of us, CentOS.

RHEL 7 just hit its first beta release, and it's based off of Fedora 19.
 CentOS 7 will probably release a beta by February once they get the
branding changed.

If anyone wants to try the new beta, you can download the iso from
http://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/rhel/beta/7/x86_64/iso/

During the beta period, it looks like if you remove the
"subscription-manager" rpm package from the system, yum will use the
default, open repository on RH's beta ftp site.  However, when the beta
period is over, the yum repository will go away, and you'll need a
standard RHN subscription.

Once the EPEL repositories catch up and bring media support, I imagine
that for some of us, Centos 7 might be a decent desktop OS for a few years.