Embedded devices

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 22:17:12 MST 2013

On 12/18/2013 07:58 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> My experience is that short of Antarctica, electronics do much better in
> the cold than the heat.  CPUs naturally generate heat and a lot of it
> depending on what precisely they are doing.  For instance I save on my
> heating costs in the winter by setting up all my computers to do cryptocoin
> mining.  :)

True, though in the cold condensation can be a real problem. For
backyard telescopes you can buy what they call dew heaters which keep
the optics and electronics just above the dew point so condensation
doesn't form.  I've also heard that the cold can change timings so
things like serial port communication with a warm computer might have
issues.  Or a receiver or transmitter.