Embedded devices

Matthew Frederico mfrederico at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 14:07:46 MST 2013

This may be a question more for a hackerspace community .. but it is linux
based.

I am consulting for a small local Utah company who is entering the market
with a platform of embedded hardware that essentially does edge
*hardware*monitoring.  It's utilizing modern wireless (900mhz and up)
and current 3G
and 4G networks to "phone home" about how certain aspects of how hardware
is performing - e.g. uptime of security cameras, switches, routers yadda
yadda .. Its pretty ingenious  idea - but I digress.

We're currently looking to perform some weatherproofing and was wondering
if any embedded linux gurus out there had any tips regarding inexpensive
heating/cooling?  Many of these devices will be "living" outside and some
in extreme (arctic) weather conditions, especially devices that are
security related.

I have heard methods ranging from immersing entire PCB's into vegetable oil
to creating a "heat" process that waits for low system load to increase cpu
usage thus inducing heat...

Anybody out there find any success with keeping hardware warm and cozy?

-- Matthew Frederico