Unity? (was: What's your favorite distro, and why?)

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Mon Dec 16 18:16:17 MST 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/16/2013 05:56 PM, Lonnie Olson wrote:
>> No.  You are wrong.
>> * Display servers can be swapped back and forth by simple package choices.
>> * X, and any other desktop environment will continue to be supported
>> on Mir using the XMir compatibility layer.
>>
>> Your "sky is falling" logic is wholly not supported by the evidence.
>
> Yes you are correct at present.
>
> I think we're talking past each other though.

We might be.

I won't argue that Canonical could do the things you claim they might
do.  It is technically possible.  However, there has been no evidence
coming from Canonical or other official Ubuntu channels that it is
moving in that direction.  There is a lot of evidence in the reverse
direction that they will continue to maintain compatibility with X
long term, as well as maintaining forward compatibility with software
in the future.  Canonical and Ubuntu communities both recognize that
without the greater GNU/Linux software ecosystem there would be no
Ubuntu.

Your previous emails all come across as pure Ubuntu bashing using
reasoning not supported by any evidence.  This is disingenuous,
especially when the thread was started by a person unfamiliar with
Unity and was just looking for some details about it.