Unity? (was: What's your favorite distro, and why?)

Dan Egli ddavidegli at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 03:07:54 MST 2013

On December 11, 2013, Michael Torrie wrote:

> This is further evidenced by Ubuntu dropping all branding references to

> Linux. They want Ubuntu to be Ubuntu, not Ubuntu Linux.

Then they should write their own kernel and boot loaders (or at least their
own grub modules), and compile the gnu utilities & libraries for their own
kernel. Don't claim your work isn't Linux when you still use the Linux
kernel, still use Linux grub, and still use glibc and the other gnu
utilities all compiled for the Linux kernel. That's like me taking the
source code to an old style MUD (remember those, folks?) based on, let's
say the TMI mud library, changing everywhere so that TMI is never
mentioned, and then running the mud. It's really just carefully concealed
theft if you ask me. And to think I used to recommend Ubuntu to newbie
users. If Canonical is going to start this, then I'm done recommending
them. I'll start telling newbies to use Fedora Core or something. Maybe
Mint. I'd have to play around a bit with Mint before I could really
recommend it. But I can recommend FC from (way) old experience. It may not
be as easy as Ubuntu was supposed to be (and it never did seem quite that
easy to me, but I could be biased), but it's far easier than Gentoo and is
a good launch point until I can confirm how well Mint works.

--- Dan