Hosting

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Fri Dec 13 00:35:38 MST 2013

I completely agree with your analysis, but want to add one point.

One of the reasons why IaaS is easier to adopt than PaaS is that the vendor
lock-in is lower. Porting a virtual machine between providers is not an easy
problem, but is well understood. PaaS lock-in is much greater, as most PaaS
providers force your application to use their APIs.

This is one of the huge benefits of OpenShift. It's the first PaaS I feel
comfortable using. But it is not as  mature as the other offerings so I am
nervous about using it for critical applications.

Richard

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:08:29 Grant Shipley wrote:
<snip>
> The adoption rate among these three cloud technologies are as follows:
> SaaS - Huge adoption.  This was a buzz word 8 years ago and we really don't
> hear much about it anymore because its widely accepted and in use by 99% of
> all corporations today.
>
> IaaS - medium adoption. People still have concerns about moving their
> workloads to a public cloud provider (ec2) but a lot of people are making
> this move.  When I talk about cloud computing to companies, one of the
> first things I hear is -- we can't put our users email address and data in
> a public cloud.  Our data is so important we need a 5 million dollar oracle
> RAC server behind 15 firewalls. I think ask them what they use for sales
> automation tools.  They proudly respond with Salesforce.com.  Face -> Palm.
>  People don't realize that they are storing much more than users data in
> the public cloud today.  With SF.com they are storing all of their
> financials and forecasts.  Having access to someone sf.com environment is
> more damning that having access to their internal oracle db.
>
> PaaS - low adoption.  This is the new kid on the block.  I fully expect
> this to be mainstream and every developer will be using a PaaS in 3-5 years
> as they see the benefits for development.  The tidal wave is coming.  It's
> best for us developers to go ahead and get familiar with it because it is
> coming!
<snip>