Hosting

Grant Shipley gshipley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 12:03:24 MST 2013

inline

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Jason Klebs <jasonk at riseup.net> wrote:

> Grant;
>
> Thanks for the explanation.  I think if we're to make good decisions
> regarding these ideas and technologies, they have to be well understood
> first.
>
> As a cloud evangelist, what is your take on being able to trust 'the
> cloud?'  Personally, I don't put much trust in
> computers/infrastructure/software that I don't run or can't inspect -
> or, more likely, can't be inspected by people I trust.  Of course, there
> is a security/usability trade-off here: I don't care so much about
> streaming music from the cloud, but I don't want government spys (or
> perhaps worse, advertising spys) reading my e-mail - hence I am not
> using GMail.  Entire governments are leaving SaaS services and building
> their own infrastructure.  "Not hosted in the USA" is now a requested
> feature.

Very good point.  I often don't trust SaaS myself and am more in line with
your way of thinking.  However, the problem with trusting cloud is more of
a concern with trusting our government (USA for you google searchers who
found this thread in archives).  If the corporations didn't allow
government snooping there wouldn't be an issue.  Which is why I find it
comical that the federal government, the ones spying on us, is moving away
to private clouds because they fear spying. :)  There is also speculation
that Windows and OSX have backdoors in the operating system to snoop even
if running locally.  Ubuntu is good example of snooping with a more
indirect manner with their amazon search by default.  This is why I moved
away from Ubuntu.

A recent case I can think of is dropbox and how they have access to all of
your files even though they say they don't.
A few cases where people claim Amazon Cloud Player and Itunes Match
actually send all of your files to the RIAA for copyright violation.

At the end of the day, it comes down making the best decision for your
needs.  For me, that comes down to believing that companies hosting a PaaS,
like Red Hat or VMWare, know how to secure the operating system much better
than myself.  I used to run my own linux servers and without fail, if I was
a few days late applying a security update, I would be hacked.

That being said, I typically don't trust anything google related either.  I
still use gmail but thats about it.

> Personally, I don't see the cloud as the next big thing.  I see it as on
> a hype curve.  Right now it's very high on the curve, but the recent
> revelations - coupled with the fact that you have to completely trust
> your providers - is bringing it slowly down.

You are correct on this to some extent.  SaaS is no longer on the hype
curve and is clearly in the adoption phase.  IaaS is coming down the hype
curve and moving to adoption.  PaaS is still early and is climbing the hype
curve.  If PaaS makes the leap to adoption is yet to be seen but some very
good traction is already being made.  I know most about OpenShift, but with
that project alone, PayPal.com is already running it in production.  DISA
(federal government is using it).  FICO is using it.  Dreamworks is using
it.  The list goes on.  So it is in use by large corporations today.