Hosting

Grant Shipley gshipley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 11:08:29 MST 2013

Let's clear up what cloud actually means then.  There are three types of
cloud computing:

IaaS - Infrastructure as a service

Think Amazon EC2, Google Compute Engine here.  The only thing provided to
the user is the hardware / vm.  The user is responsible for providing the
operating system, updating it, apply security errata, installing and
managing all applications, tuning the OS - databases - application servers
etc.  It addresses a real concern in the industry by reducing the time to
market for getting servers quickly.  With IaaS, you can spin up 1000
machines in a matter of minutes and grow as demand quires it.  The only
problem, no one knows what their final bill will be every month.

You have to bring your sys admins, application code, and users along with
you.

PaaS - Platform as a service

The OpenShift, Heroku, CloudFoundry here.  PaaS sits on top of IaaS to
automate even more of the environment.  Typically the PaaS will manage all
aspects of the environment for you.  This includes database tuning,
automatic scaling, application server management, security updates to OS
and runtimes, etc.  Users of PaaS need to deploy and be responsible for the
application code that is deployed on the environment to ensure it is
robust, scalable, and cloud friendly.

You have to bring your application code and users along with you.

SaaS - Software as a Service

Think salesforce.com, facebook, gmail, dropbox here.  Software as a service
is a WYSIWG environment.  The platform manages everything for you and often
times you can't customize the application code.  This is the cloud
technology that has been around the longest and widely adopted.

You have to bring your users and your data to the table here.

The adoption rate among these three cloud technologies are as follows:
SaaS - Huge adoption.  This was a buzz word 8 years ago and we really don't
hear much about it anymore because its widely accepted and in use by 99% of
all corporations today.

IaaS - medium adoption. People still have concerns about moving their
workloads to a public cloud provider (ec2) but a lot of people are making
this move.  When I talk about cloud computing to companies, one of the
first things I hear is -- we can't put our users email address and data in
a public cloud.  Our data is so important we need a 5 million dollar oracle
RAC server behind 15 firewalls. I think ask them what they use for sales
automation tools.  They proudly respond with Salesforce.com.  Face -> Palm.
 People don't realize that they are storing much more than users data in
the public cloud today.  With SF.com they are storing all of their
financials and forecasts.  Having access to someone sf.com environment is
more damning that having access to their internal oracle db.

PaaS - low adoption.  This is the new kid on the block.  I fully expect
this to be mainstream and every developer will be using a PaaS in 3-5 years
as they see the benefits for development.  The tidal wave is coming.  It's
best for us developers to go ahead and get familiar with it because it is
coming!

Now, just to be clear.  You will hear a lot of other crap about cloud
computing.  IMO ignore it.  People and companies will tout things such as
mBaaS (Mobile backend as a service) MWaaS (Middle Ware as a Service) etc.
 All of these new buzz word terms can be recognized in one of three main
categories (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS).  I don't know why people are clinging to and
making up new as a services acronyms.  It just further confuses everyone
knew to cloud computing and is hindering the adoption of this fantastic
technology.

--
gs