Sasha Pachev sasha at
Wed Dec 11 20:03:52 MST 2013

>Not picking on you but do you honestly think someone hosting their own
>server will have better uptime than using one of the current top tier cloud

I do not work much with clouds, but I have had some experiences that
makes me wonder about the stability of the current cloud solutions:

* I have seen MySQL stuck due to failed I/O several times on Amazon
cloud. Never quite like that on a dedicated machine - not so
spectacularly where every read() syscall would just sit there
indefinitely instead of coming back with some kind of an error.
* Netflix outage due to cloud failure made the news recently. I do not
recall a major news item that had to do with a regular dedicated
server failure. In fact, it was quite exciting - does not happen
* I ran the Big Cottonwood Canyon Half-Marathon this year. When I got
home I went to their website to check the results and got an error
several times. Retried several times after giving it some time to
auto-heal or have the admin take care of it. Then after some time  the
site started loading, but was extremely slow. I saw the domain of the
backend scripts was I realize that a poorly written PHP
script combined with a poorly written MySQL query can produce some
wonderful results, but you can only botch it so much while fetching
only 5K records on modern hardware. I have seen horrendously
inefficient code perform just fine even under load on a normal
dedicated server.

Now the idea of clouds is great. However, I fear that our ability to
get excited about them exceeds our ability to implement them properly
which is not an easy task.

Sasha Pachev

Fast Running Blog.
Run. Blog. Improve. Repeat.