What's the cheapest way to setup Linux box?

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 14:28:50 MST 2013

An alternative you may not have considered; I've been using cloud9 for my
web-dev work for several days now.  It's free and runs on openshift (I
think).

If you go this route, there is no need for SSH or a server at all.  Plus
you can code directly into a really nice IDE embedded in the web-browser.
 While testing/debugging, you can have it running on a fresh VM, in
literally a few seconds.  Deployment takes a minute or two, and can be done
from the IDE directly to all the most common "cloud" providers.

Thus far I've only used it for node.js work, but I seem to recall it
supporting Java, Ruby and a bunch of others.
You also get a nice command line and CPU time and other resources are
liberal.
For instance, I've got a quicky app that's parsing the entire blockchain
out of bitcoin and stuffing it into a MySQL database.
So far my runtimes have been upwards of 4 hours without interruption, and
I've never seen cloud 9 be the ones to kill my process.
That should be plenty of time to test a rails app.

Now I'm done, someone please shoot me for having drunk the cloud kool-aide
and talking like this.  :)