What's the cheapest way to setup Linux box?

John Shaver bobjohnbob at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 10:14:42 MST 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Eric Olsen <falconv at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use an off-site backup as well, but I figure (after losing a few years of
> pictures) you can't be too safe.

The great thing about offline backups is that his is stored at my house.
 So if his house burns down while he's away and he loses everything, I can
charge him large amounts of money to restore his data.

For my server development/web/backups server at home I bought a Cubieboard2
with case/cables for about $70. It's dual core and has 1GB of ram.  It has
a SATA port to plug in a HDD. I run arch linux on it, but I think there are
ubuntu server builds available out there if you don't want to compile it
yourself.  And it runs an arm processor so it uses very little power.

http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/allwinner/cubieboard-2

I wouldn't recommend doing anything but a headless server with the
cubieboard2, though, since there are some limitations, I think due to some
of the hardware drivers being closed source.

So far, however, it has been a great little server for me.

-John