What's the cheapest way to setup Linux box?

Chris Wood chris at tincreek.com
Wed Dec 11 09:32:40 MST 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 7:35 AM, Nicholas Stewart <nicholas4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running an Ubuntu VM on my macbook but I want more cpu/ram and so
> I am going to buy/build a linux desktop/server.
>
> My minimum requirements are:  4 cores, 8 GB RAM, 2 TB HardDrive.  My
> plan is to put it in my basement (so I don't mind if it's noisy) and
> ssh into it from my macbook.

Depending on what you're using the linux box for, you may get away
with a very cheap VM.  I pay $5.95 a month to http://buyvm.net.  For
my basic needs, it is cheaper than maintaining a box and I have a
linux box with a static ip and with a lot of bandwidth.  (note that
these super cheap VMs do not have any guarantee of uptimes but the
historical use for me has been great and downtime isn't really an
issue to me)