What's the cheapest way to setup Linux box?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 09:19:49 MST 2013

On 12/11/2013 07:35 AM, Nicholas Stewart wrote:
> I'm running an Ubuntu VM on my macbook but I want more cpu/ram and so
> I am going to buy/build a linux desktop/server.
>
> My minimum requirements are:  4 cores, 8 GB RAM, 2 TB HardDrive.  My
> plan is to put it in my basement (so I don't mind if it's noisy) and
> ssh into it from my macbook.
>
> I'm open to getting a refurbished box.  A friend of mine got a really
> good deal on a refurbished server but the place he bought it from
> closed their doors.
>
> What's the cheapest way to get this kind of setup?

I built myself a little mini server using a micro ATX integrated Intel
(board made by Intel) board and stuck a low-end quad core i5 processor
on it. It's very quiet and energy efficient.  I even found a 2U
rackmount chassis on newegg so some day I can stick it in a rack if I
want.  The power supply is only 250 watts (80 watt on idle).