What's the cheapest way to setup Linux box?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Dec 11 08:11:44 MST 2013

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 07:35:56 -0700
Nicholas Stewart <nicholas4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the cheapest way to get this kind of setup?

Why do you need such vast power? This is Linux we are talking about,
not some obscure OS from Redmond, WA?

That aside, I just bought two Lenovo T61 laptops from NewEgg. They are
factory refurbs, and come with a warranty (except for the battery,
alas!). I moved an SSD and full memory into one of them, and bought an
SSD and more memory for the other. The result: 240GB SSD, dual core
with 4 GB each. I run Debian 7.0 (Wheezy) with XFCE on them, and they
do just fine.

The T61s cost $200 each, and the SSD, a replacement battery, and memory
another $340. That is less than one new Lenovo laptop with specs
comparable to your requirement costs at retail.

In short, NewEgg might be worth a look.

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV