What's the cheapest way to setup Linux box?

Nicholas Stewart nicholas4 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 07:35:56 MST 2013

I'm running an Ubuntu VM on my macbook but I want more cpu/ram and so
I am going to buy/build a linux desktop/server.

My minimum requirements are:  4 cores, 8 GB RAM, 2 TB HardDrive.  My
plan is to put it in my basement (so I don't mind if it's noisy) and
ssh into it from my macbook.

I'm open to getting a refurbished box.  A friend of mine got a really
good deal on a refurbished server but the place he bought it from
closed their doors.

What's the cheapest way to get this kind of setup?

Thank you,
Nicholas Stewart