Pro/Cons on Mint vs. Gentoo?

Dan Egli ddavidegli at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 03:47:22 MST 2013

On December 7, 2013, S. Dale Morrey wrote:

> I think mint is just ubuntu without the craplets installed. For a gentoo

> rival you need to look at Arch linux.

Ok, then I'll ask the same on Arch. How well does it compare to Gentoo, how
easy is it to use/update, etc...?

Especially of interest to me is how much of it can be updated in binaries.
Since Gentoo has basically no binary version (and yes I know about binhosts
but those are maintained by 3rd parties, not the gentoo development
community) all updates need to be compiled. That's not too bad for things
like exim or courier-imap or whatever that is small and compiled with
custom options under C. But that's a pain for longer things like gcc/glibc,
or for things that use g++ which was a lot slower than gcc when I used it
last (again, around 10 years ago now). However, I do like gentoo's
customizability. So perhaps someone can give me a comparison on how easy it
would be to setup and maintain a machine with Arch vs. Gentoo? I know
exactly what I'd do to setup a machine under Gentoo. How does Arch compare?
Let me give a hypothetical setup.

Suppose I'm installing and maintaining two servers. One is the primary
gateway/mail/web/PXE/nfs server. The other is just for bulk storage.
Hypothetically let's have the gateway be a simple setup with a software
RAID 1 on ext4 (I don't know of a better FS for something the size of say
2TB). The bulk storage is accessible via nfs. The main machine provides the
root FS to two different "networks", via two separate network cards. The
storage server is just attached to one network, but accessible to both. It
is much larger (say 10 4TB hdds in software raid 6). This storage server
also has X installed (let's use kde, since that's the interface I'm
familiar with, and that takes the longest to compile), but the iptables
rules on the gateway prevent outside access to anything but the nfs, samba,
and ssh ports. Internally xdmcp, vnc and rdp are also allowed to pass to
the storage server.

Setting this up in Gentoo would take a couple hours, but could be done in
my head easy enough. Maintaining would be easy, except in times where
gcc/g++, glibc or kde need to be updated. They'll take a lot longer. How
easy would it be to setup something like that in Arch, and how easy would
it be to update things in binary mode (especially those items I just
mentioned)?

Thanks, all!

--- Dan