It's alive! Well sorta.

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 18:35:05 MST 2013

It's just a feeder script, so in the end my solution was just to issue
init.d/mydaemon start through cron on an hourly basis.
It's not vital that it run ALL the time just most of the time, and the
daemon will already refuse to let more than 1 run at time.

I know it seems like a kludge, but adding any extra overhead would strain
an aready resource constrained environment.

Thanks for the tips though.  They'll probably come in handy in the future,
so I'm bookmarking this thread :)