Unity? (was: What's your favorite distro, and why?)

Dan Egli ddavidegli at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 01:18:20 MST 2013

On December 5, 2013, Michael Torrie wrote:

> Mint isn't less common. It's probably one of the fastest growing

> distros in terms of popularity.

Well, it's uncommon to me because I don't recall hearing of it before. But
then again I have been out of the game for a few years now.

> Mint seems to be gaining in popularity because 1) it doesn't have Unity

> and 2) it gives other desktop environments like LXDE and XFCE and Mate

> more first-class attention (KDE used to be supported but that's now

> forked off into its own distro, SolidXK.

Okay. I guess that shows how long I've been out of the game, but What is
Unity? From what I can gather it seems to be a display environment/window
manager ala KDE/Gnome/XFCE/etc... but if is, why is it so hated? What was
it intended to do that it's apparently not doing?

Thanks for the info!

--- Dan