Pro/Cons on Mint vs. Gentoo?

Dan Egli ddavidegli at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 01:12:42 MST 2013

Hey all, I'm making some plans, and one of the things I was going to do was
to build a home server running Gentoo so I could have the basic setup, and
nothing else. And while I've always enjoyed Gentoo, one of the things I
have to admit that I don't like is the build time. Binary installs can be
setup in under 45 minutes, where as it's likely a few hours, and maybe more
for a source distribution.

So, while I love Gentoo, I hear a lot of people talking about how they love
Mint, and that Mint has the same flexibility as Gentoo, but is easier to
install/configure/update. If that's the case I may have to give serious
consideration to moving over to Mint. But I'd really like to find out a bit
more first. As I have said before, I have used Gentoo on many occasions,
and never had any real problems with it as long as I set my USE flags and
my ACCEPT_KEYWORDS flags properly, and don't try to combine everything onto
one command line. But if Mint has the same flexibility for less
configuration time, I'd be curious.

So, I ask those who may have had experience with both to rate your
experience on each. How was the initial setup? Maintenance of config files?
Updates? Package/program availability (especially in pre-compiled binary)?
Granularity?

Thanks, all!

--- Dan