What's your favorite distro, and why?

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Thu Dec 5 23:11:20 MST 2013

On 12/5/2013 6:28 PM, John D Jones III wrote:
> On 12/04/13 23:59, Dan Egli wrote:
>

>> What attitude are you referring to, may I ask? I'm lost on this. :)
>>

> I was afraid you were going to request elaboration here... Attitude
> probably isn't the right term... I used Gentoo for about a year and I
> guess it's more the community, the attitude of the community tends to
> lean into the product for me... but a few times when I updated my
> system, something critical went wrong, and it took days to 'recompile'
> things, and inevitably I ended up with 300 new packages getting
> installed, and critical things, like Firefox/Thunderbird would still
> require more effort to get working... I just got burned out on the
> feel of Gentoo, it's like it hated me personally for calling it's baby
> ugly or something, lol.... I guess that's what I meant by 'attitude'...

I know what you're speaking of here.  Holding the community accountable
for their horrible (to this day) ebuild maintenance/testing is why I had
to leave gentoo because quite frankly it just wasn't worth it.  I'd
rather build everything from source by hand than try to convince a
random ebuild maintainer to fix the problems they caused for everyone
relying on their lib ebuild.

Arch is more experimental but has better package testing than gentoo.
It's basically the new gentoo.  I still won't use it (I really don't
have time to tweak my OS every time there's minor updates to core
packages) but it does seem a more promising community.  They at least
don't bite your head off for bug reports.

-Tod Hansmann