What's your favorite distro, and why?

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Thu Dec 5 12:17:49 MST 2013

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Grant Shipley <gshipley at gmail.com> wrote:
> When people got mad at Canonical for their underhanded sharing of data with
> amazon, a lot of people left that camp.  Granted, it also had a lot to do
> with people generally hating Unity and finally realizing that canonical is
> not a good open source citizen.
>
> I find that Ubuntu is more in use by people who like linux but don't care
> so much about running a completely free open source OS.  It's the same
> reason we have a seen a mass exodus to OSX.  People understand the
> technical merits of a linux/unix based system and prefer convenience over
> philosophy.  Please don't mistake this comment as something bad, it isn't.
>  People are and should be free to use whatever they want that suits their
> personal desires and goals.  Just trying to explain what I have seen in the
> linux space over the last 10-15 years.

It is true that Ubuntu isn't a completely Free Software distribution.
It includes lots of non-free firmware blobs and such.
However.  Linux Mint as even more non-Free Software included in it by
default.  It includes all kinds of bad crap like Flash, MP3, and other
full multimedia support.  It's actually worse for the Free Software
movement.  If you truly care about Free Software, you should be using
one of the approved distributions.
http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html