What's your favorite distro, and why?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 07:59:46 MST 2013

On 12/04/2013 11:58 PM, Dan Egli wrote:
> I'm quite familiar with the differences between say, openldap-<version> and
> openldap-libs-<version> and you're right that many were just the libs. But
> if my memory is correct (I could be wrong!) openldap wasn't just the -libs
> package required. Perhaps there wasn't a -libs package available to whoever
> designed the RPM (whether it was designed by the Fedora maintainers or
> someone else), but my memory says I had to install openldap itself (the
> full package) to get courier's RPM happy. And the point wasn't having all
> these DMBS packages installed, but the fact that this was a very small hard
> disk drive (< 4GB HDD if I recall, this WAS more than 12 years ago) so I
> had to REALLY prioritize what went on there, since it was a combo system to
> be my home e-mail server plus my print/file server, plus the samba server,
> plus the internet gateway. Those packages, just the libs and what ever else
> was required, used a large chunk of my HDD that I could have used for other
> purposes.

Just to set your mind at ease, "openldap" contains the libraries,
"openldap-servers" contain the daemons (the server), and
"openldap-clients" contains the command-line binaries.  So you can rest
easy knowing you never actually had OpenLDAP unnecessarily installed! :)

And 2-4GB still sounds like a lot of disk space to me!  A stock Fedora
system of that vintage, with everything you mention installed (minus the
GUI of course; this is a headless server after all) would be about 300
MB.  Granted, 300 MB for a basic system is still a lot of space (maybe
70 MB of that is locale information).  Of course, OpenWRT does the same
tasks with only about 8 MB of space, doing things more the way you
probably would (bare essential support libraries only, stripped).

I would agree modern distros are getting quite bloated, as the kitchen
sink goes in permanently because someone expects it even if I don't need
one.  But I live with it (mediocrity at its best).