What's your favorite distro, and why?

John D Jones III unixgeek1972 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 14:02:03 MST 2013

On 12/03/13 13:45, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> I've been feeling some serious hate towards modern distros as of late.
>
> I have what I thought would be a portable desktop, i.e. Quad Core
> processor, high end graphics, oodles of ram etc.
> I've tried Ubuntu & friends, RH & friends, Gentoo etc.
> All seem either bloated and slow, or a PITA to get up and running, some
> just choose not to run at all.
>
> The major problem has been UEFI support.  My bios can disable it, but then
> the distro(s) still hiccup and refuse to come fully alive after install.
>   This is true even though the live cd's work fine.
>
> If the distro supports UEFI it will at least install and boot.
>
> Ubuntu has been the worst on this laptop, I literally have a "System Error"
> dialog box that pops up every 30 seconds no matter how many times I dismiss
> it.  I'm hardly a noob.  I've been using linux actively for over a decade
> (literally since 1998 and exclusively since 2002). I should know how to
> make this go away without wiping it, but sadly I can't seem to track it
> down.  It seems to be something coming from power management, but I really
> don't have the time to track it down at the moment and there is no way to
> just make it shut up and go away.  No it's just got to throw a system modal
> dialog box in my face within 1 minute of dismissing it.
>
> At the moment I have a 10 minute boot time, most of which is spent on a
> black screen with the words "scanning for btrfs file systems".  But even
> after that point, boot up and time to a working desktop are so painfully
> slow.
>
> This laptop is 1 year old today.
>
> I've been looking at Suse lately and it's been running like a top on all of
> my EC2 instances, seems significantly faster than ubuntu server and much
> easier to configure than RHEL.  Haven't tried it on my laptop, but when I
> do my quarterly wipe / reinstall I'm planning to make the jump.  If that
> fails I think I'll just put win8 onto this laptop and give it to someone I
> don't like.
>

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Nicholas Leippe <nick at leippe.com> wrote:

I'm a hardcore Arch Linux user, and have been for ~6 years now. I prefer
the rolling release structure, it's bleeding edge yet stable. On the
server end, FreeBSD 4LYF!! I've been using it for 12 years, up until I
discovered Arch, I ran fbsd on the desktop too, but someone invented
youtube and I decided that running flash had a viable use. Every year or
so, I go through and play with the other distros just to see what's new,
if they've fixed whatever it was that annoyed me in the past, etc; I was
pretty impressed with Fedora 19, Ubuntu has just been leaving a bad
taste more and more each release, OpenSuse is still... OpenSuse... so
close yet, not quite... Mint is pretty alright, I think it's overtaken
Ubu with regard to the cool factor, with Cinnamon, and all, but it still
smells like Ubu to me, and sad to say, that hurts it for me. Nothing has
come along yet that has impressed me enough to move away from the
Arch/FreeBSD mode I'm in, and sadly I don't foresee anything happening
that will make me change. And yes, I did try Gentoo, it's a fine distro,
but I just got tired of it's 'attitude' and I've seen nothing recently
that suggests the 'attitude' has changed.

--
Thanks,
John D Jones III
unixgeek1972 at gmail.com