What's your favorite distro, and why?

Rich L rich at dranek.com
Tue Dec 3 00:43:52 MST 2013

On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 12:43:26PM +0530, Dan Egli wrote:
> I'm not looking to start a flame war here, but I am curious
>why everyone uses whatever distribution they do. I'd like to hear back from
>people, especially those not using things like Fedora or Ubuntu or Debian.

I'm a happy Arch user for a few years now. For a few programs, I usually
need the latest version and back when I was on Ubuntu, that meant either
trusting someone's PPA or compiling it by hand. Arch is usually
bleeding-edge enough for me, but I don't think I've ever suffered any
major problems from that.

Also, they have a great wiki [1] that I often refer to and occasionally
update. Their package selection is really large because even if it's not
officially packaged by Arch, there is a huge (but centralized)
collection of user-submitted packages (the AUR).

I also really like the simple but powerful package manager (pacman) and
how easy it is to create your own packages. It's just a simple bash
script that follows some guidelines. I maintain a few packages that
probably very few people are interested in, but it's ridiculously easy
to do so. (I find the process to create a .deb much more complicated or
at least poorly documented.)

>My personal favorite distribution has to be Gentoo.

I used Gentoo for awhile about a decade ago and really really enjoyed
it. The only part I didn't like was the lengthy compilation times. I
think they tried to address this by including some binary packages for
the worst offenders (Firefox, OpenOffice, etc), but I don't think they
do that anymore, right?

Coming from a background of Gentoo and Ubuntu, for me, Arch has all the
customizability and simplicity of Gentoo but the quick
installation/upgrade of using binary packages.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_Page

--
Rich