REMINDER: Meeting TONIGHT: A Crash Course in Hobbyist Electronics

Alan Evans alanwevans at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 00:09:40 MDT 2013

I piped up with a couple of links during Dallin's presentations.  I thought
I'd email links to the sites I was talking about.

Futurlec
http://www.futurlec.com/
Probably not suitable for Dallin's lab work but should be plenty good
enough for hobbyist stuff.

In particular the ValuePacks are pretty appealing.
http://www.futurlec.com/ValuePacks.shtml

If anyone starts an order there are couple of items I have wanted to order
but couldn't justify.  If you were looking to fill up an order I'd love to
go in on one to save on some shipping.

SparkFun Electronics
https://www.sparkfun.com/
Lots of neat kits and components.  Sometimes a bit pricey but they make
lots of breakouts/kits/etc that help out hobbyists.

Lots of great tutorials.
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials
https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/354 - Soldering

adafruit
http://www.adafruit.com/
Lost more kits/tutorials.  Lots of good educational info, detailed
explanations of their kits.
http://learn.adafruit.com/ - Tutorials

eBay
http://www.ebay.com/ - duh
Search for "resistor kit" "capacitor kit" "jumper wires" "bread boards"
"pcb prototyping".
I don't have any particular stores that I've used in the past but usually
if you find a user/store w/ a good rating you might find they have other
items.  Say you're looking for a resistor kit they might also sell
capacitor kits.  I would give a couple points of warning though:
1. Many users/stores are in China and shipping can take a while.
2. Buyer beware, practice safe eBay, check seller feedback, look for good
history, check their other items etc...
3. Some of the kits are not particularly useful.  You might end up with a
selection of 10-20 values or resistors/capacitors that are not particularly
useful (I'm still learning what is 'useful' myself...)
4. Some kits come unsorted...  Means some quality time w/ a magnifying
glass or a multi-meter.

YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/ - duh
Lots of great instructional videos.  Just poke around, look at related
videos.  Here's a couple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4 - How to solder
https://www.youtube.com/user/sparkfun - SparkFun channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/adafruit - adafruit channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/paceworldwide - PACE worldwide, some old
vocational vidoes on soldering.  If you imagine the movie Anchorman +
soldering vocational vidoes you get this.  If you can stand the cheese and
the suits they've got a lot of good info in them.

HTH,
-Alan