Hosed yum on Fedora 18 x86_64

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Tue Aug 13 07:43:58 MDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Alan Evans <alanwevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> # rpm -qa rpm\* | sort
> # rpm -qa yum\* | sort
>
> Look for duplicates. In particular:
> rpm
> rpm-libs
> yum

None of those were dupes, but I had 400+, so I did:
# package-cleanup --dupes > out

then removed one line from out and ran:
for rpm in $(cat out) do rpm -e ${rpm} ; done

Any rpms with nothing depending on them got removed, the rest errored
and stayed.

That didn't get them all because in 8 cases, there were dependencies
on both installed rpms. So I did the package cleanup list of dupes
again, edited the file and removed the newest version of each one,
added --nodeps to the rpm -e in the for loop and re-ran it.

I've just yum upgrade'ed and now I'm checking for dupes and bad deps,
and everything seemed fine until I re-booted.  The rpmfusion catalyst
driver isn't working properly now, so their computer is back to the
open source driver until I can figure that one out.

> I also like 'yum shell', it lets you handle some interesting scenarios that
> yum alone isn't smart enough to handle.

yum shell is new to me.  I'll have to play with that.

Thanks,

Barry