mini-PCs as Routers.

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 21:01:02 MDT 2013

On 08/12/2013 11:07 AM, Matt Melvin wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So I settled on an old version of the Intense-PC from fit-pc.  It's a
>> 1.1 GHz celeron dual core (slightly more horsepower than the atom at 1.8
>> GHz).  It's about 20 watts.  It will handle any 2.5" sata drive, so I'll
>> be using an old SSD from by brother.  Has built-in wifi, which I
>> probably will use depending on if it supports access point mode.  It was
>> not cheap, $330 to be exact.  But as I failed to mention before, my
>> needs are more business-related, so this will be expensed anyway.
>

> Good find!  Let me/us know how it works out and which distro/packages you
> end up using -- and if the wifi works for AP mode.  I'd definitely like to
> move to a more compact and power efficient machine, and this option looks
> solid.

I am unable to determine exactly what wifi chipset it has.  I'm thinking
since it's an Intel WM65 motherboard chipset that the wifi is probably
intel.  But I can't tell from any of the specs anywhere out there in the
googlewebs.  Even if it is Intel, there's a strong chance master mode is
not supported with the drivers available in Linux.  At least that was
pretty much the case last time I looked into using Intel wifi stuff on
my routerstation pro.  But if that's the case, no matter.  i'll just
take a stock cheap access point and turn off dhcp and stick plug it into
my network.