mini-PCs as Routers.

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Mon Aug 12 18:34:42 MDT 2013

On 8/12/2013 8:31 AM, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> "I don't to worry about it being compatible with OpenWrt, dd-wrt, Tomato,
> or whatever other firmware people like to run"
>
> Those are not "firmware". They are linux distributions. If linux has a
> driver for the hardware then it supports it regardless of the distribution.
Actually, no, they're alternative firmwares built around the linux
kernel.  This is why you update many of them by flashing the image
through the factory web interface in the "firmware upgrade" section.
You can make a semantic case at best, but in the end it's still going to
be called a firmware to Real People Doing Things who are talking about
the subject.  Case in point, two descriptions from their own websites:

"/DD/-/WRT/ is free Linux-based firmware for several wireless routers..."

"A GNU/Linux based firmware program for embedded devices such as
residential gateways and routers."