mini-PCs as Routers.

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 09:08:43 MDT 2013

On 08/12/2013 08:58 AM, Matt Melvin wrote:
> I use a Pentium 4 machine running pfSense as my firewall/router.  I have
> a standalone wireless a/b/g/n access point wired into the internal LAN
> side of the router.  I use this setup (as opposed to a wireless NIC in the
> router) since I already had the AP on hand, I don't have to worry about
> firmware/drivers/compatibility, and pfSense doesn't currently support
> 802.11n directly.  I believe that this is a fairly typical setup for people
> that use a PC as a router... and especially with the pfSense crowd.

Yes I agree.  Though I am looking for something that's a bit more power
efficient.

So I settled on an old version of the Intense-PC from fit-pc.  It's a
1.1 GHz celeron dual core (slightly more horsepower than the atom at 1.8
GHz).  It's about 20 watts.  It will handle any 2.5" sata drive, so I'll
be using an old SSD from by brother.  Has built-in wifi, which I
probably will use depending on if it supports access point mode.  It was
not cheap, $330 to be exact.  But as I failed to mention before, my
needs are more business-related, so this will be expensed anyway.