mini-PCs as Routers.

Matt Melvin rage_311 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 12 08:58:30 MDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 6:40 AM, Dan Egli <ddavidegli at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now you lost me. Are you saying your router itself won't have WiFi, but one
> of the machines connected to it will have a wireless card that can link to
> other wireless cards? Or do you just mean that you're going to put a
> wireless card in the router?

I use a Pentium 4 machine running pfSense as my firewall/router.  I have
a standalone wireless a/b/g/n access point wired into the internal LAN
side of the router.  I use this setup (as opposed to a wireless NIC in the
router) since I already had the AP on hand, I don't have to worry about
firmware/drivers/compatibility, and pfSense doesn't currently support
802.11n directly.  I believe that this is a fairly typical setup for people
that use a PC as a router... and especially with the pfSense crowd.