mini-PCs as Routers.

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 08:20:26 MDT 2013

On 08/12/2013 06:40 AM, Dan Egli wrote:
> Now you lost me. Are you saying your router itself won't have WiFi, but one
> of the machines connected to it will have a wireless card that can link to
> other wireless cards? Or do you just mean that you're going to put a
> wireless card in the router? I'd think that for certain situations wireless
> would be a good thing. After all, do you really want yet ANOTHER cord
> dripping from behind your TV? You already have a power cord, and any
> connections to your DVD/Blu-Ray player, your Cable/Sattelite Box, any game
> consoles, and maybe your computer itself. I'd think you'd want to go
> wireless if you could. And then there's the fact that some game consoles (I
> don't know if you use them) are moving Wi-Fi only. I haven't heard for sure
> either way, but I did hear rumors that the PS4 and Xbox One will not have
> RJ45 ethernet ports, but will be WiFi only (this could be wrong, but it's
> what I've heard).

Not really sure which post you're replying to.

But for me, absolutely I don't want WiFi itself on my router.  By
separating it from the Router I can do whatever wifi suits my fancy and
I don't to worry about it being compatible with OpenWrt, dd-wrt, Tomato,
or whatever other firmware people like to run.  I can keep my core
router running linux and wifi can be whatever it wants, be it AirPort
Extreme, Cisco IOS, el cheapo, whatever.

I'm a bit confused by you asking if I want yet another cord dripping
from behind my TV.  Why would my router be behind my TV?  In my case the
router is either going to be in the office where my old wifi router is
right now, or, since it's divorced from wifi, down in the basement in a
server rack.

> I have been thinking about building a little min-pc router like that
> myself, but the WiFi issue has always held me back. Even if you don't
> want/need WiFi support in the network, I do. :) And not just to one
> machine. At the least, I'd want two: TV and Game Console.

Lots of ITX motherboards have onboard wifi.  For example,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128567

That board (or the non-wifi form) will form the basis of my own HTPC in
a few months.  Though I will not be using wireless.  A wired gigabit
connection is what I'll be using.