Need a small form factor x86 box to be a firewall/router/dg

Alan Evans alanwevans at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 18:15:26 MDT 2013

I don't think using a Linux box is going to make calls go any smoother.

Tech: "What version of Windows are you using?"
Me: "I don't use Windows, I use [Ubuntu|Fedora|Debian|...]"
<bloated pause>
Tech: "That's Windows 8 right?"

Do like the rest of us...  Lie.

Tech: "Do you have a router?"
Me: "No"

- - or - -

Tech: "Do you have a router?"
Me: "Yes"
Tech: "Can you unplug it, wait 20 seconds and plug it back in?"
Me: "OK"
<do nothing, wait 30 seconds because you already tried this>
Me: "OK, its back up but <repeat original problem> isn't any better."

The problem with 'routers' as far as ISPs are concerned is that they are a
HUGE variable.

  1. There are hundreds/thousands of models.
  2. Joe consumer has a very low level of understanding, he plugged it in
and popped the CD into his Laptop and it magically worked.
  3. There are any number of failure scenarios.
    a. Incorrect wiring
    b. Bad cabling
      i. customer ran over it w/ wheels of a chair for the last year
      ii. abused cable ends
      iii. interference/noise
    c. If wireless
      i. bad antenna/device placement
      ii. authentication problems
      iii. interference (neighbours, 2.4GHz phones etc etc)
    d. mis-configuration
    e. on and on

-Alan