Wireless USB

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 17:49:24 MDT 2013

It's hard to search for that kind of thing; Google thinks I want an
802.11 usb adapter. :P

I did find this, though: http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWIP204/
It looks like it relies on special software for the computer that
wants to use the USB peripherals, though, since there's no special
dongle for them.

It looks like the previous version of the product was based around a
standard: http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWH104KIT/
You can still get the PC dongle: http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWA200/
I don't think the dongle is compatible with the GUWIP204, though, and
that leaves you without anything to plug the sensor into.

There was apparently, a couple of years ago, a push from the USB
industry group to get a wireless USB standard out into the market.  A
few products dribbled out, but apparently it didn't catch on. A search
for "Certified Wireless USB" turned up mostly relevant things.

Anyway, if you're able to replace the wired USB hardware in the sensor
gadget with something else, you could always go with a generic 2.4Ghz
radio pair instead of Bluetooth, such as comes with cheap wireless
mice and keyboards.  They might even provide lower latency due to
having a simpler protocol, but it's hard to say.  I'm not sure where
you'd go to design something like that into a product, presumably
there are Chinese companies that can do it for you pretty cheap.