Need a small form factor x86 box to be a firewall/router/dg

Doran L. Barton fozz at
Thu Aug 8 15:01:55 MDT 2013

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 14:43:46 -0600
Michael Torrie <torriem at> wrote:

> I want a machine that's x86 (i3 or i5), at least 1 GHz, low-power, no
> fans, ssd disk, 2 gigabit ethernet ports, small formfactor.  Any ideas
> as to what I should look for?  Anything under $500 is game at this
> point.

I noticed NewEgg has some systems like this:

Obviously, this is only a 1.86 Ghz Atom CPU, but that's probably more than
sufficient for a home firewall.

Doran L. Barton <fozz at> - Linux, Perl, Web, good fun, and
more! "We would be delighted if you send in your payment. However, if
you don't, you will be."
    -- Seen on an electric utility bill