IDS Appliance Recommendations

Jacob Albretsen jakea at
Tue Aug 6 11:39:24 MDT 2013

A PCI compliance company which will remain nameless decided to EOL a IDS
Appliance under my feet while simultaneously not producing a replacement
product that has the same functionality.   Now I need to find another solution.
The appliance served as both an IDS (all incoming traffic was passed through it)
as well as doing our quarterly internal vulnerability scans.

I am looking for recommendations for a product that can give me this kind of
functionality.  A real nice feature (not sure if it exists) would be that even
if the appliance is off or rebooting, traffic is still passed through it to the
rest of network.

- Jake