Streaming MP3s from Debian Squeeze

John D Jones III unixgeek1972 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 21:49:31 MDT 2013

On 04/28/2013 04:36 PM, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:49:33 -0600
> Matt Melvin <rage_311 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> Thank you. Good detective work. The version with MP3 support is not in
> backports, so I would have to compile from source. I'd rather defer
> that exercise.
>
> I did find this:
> http://www.tuxradar.com/content/how-set-your-own-linux-media-server I
> used the ezstream setup. So far, a proof of concept installation is
> hard at work on my laptop. That's farther than I've gotten before.
>
> Now to copy the whole mess onto the final server and get that running
> on my network.
>
> Thanks to all who helped.

     Just to throw in my twenty two cents, minidlna makes for a good
media streaming platform, it works with the Xbox360 flawlessly, and can
handle any upnp/dlna aware device very nicely, this includes a growing
list of BluRay players, DVRs, as well as most self respecting media
players of all OSes. It's supposed to work well with the PS3 but I don't
own one, so I can't speak on that.

     I also run subsonic and icecast with great success Subsonic was
brutally easy, Icecast, you have to feed it the stream, I use ices to
serve the playlist content to the icecast server. When it comes to
in-LAN media streaming, I'd recommend giving minidlna a whirl, once
catch is, it uses inotify to update it's changes, this doesn't work on
NFS or other network mounts. But in those cases, you can set up a
midnight cron to update it's library, or, just run minidlna on the host
of the drive itself and let inotify do the work, and the host stream
everywhere...

--
John D Jones III
Perl/Javascript/Systemd Zealot