Streaming MP3s from Debian Squeeze

Matt Melvin rage_311 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 28 09:49:33 MDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Charles Curley
<charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:

> The icecast one failed with the message, "Starting Music Player Daemon:
> mpdoutput: line 195: couldn't find shout encoder plugin "mp3" Aborted
> failed!" Googling on that turned up nothing.
>
> I begin to wonder if the debian folk strip out mp3 support from these
> programs. They don't strip them from end clients like VLC or xine,
> though.

It looks like this IS the case after all.  According to this Debian
bug report (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=559933),
it has been fixed in newer versions of Debian/MPD.  Take a look at the
bug report for more info.  I got there by googling "mpd couldn't find
shout encoder mp3 plugin" and there were many more related links that
looked helpful.

Tod's subsonic suggestion is also a good option, depending on what
your needs are.  There's also a completely free and ad-free fork of
subsonic called supersonic (https://github.com/Mach5/supersonic).