Streaming MP3s from Debian Squeeze

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Sat Apr 27 17:40:08 MDT 2013

On 4/27/2013 1:34 PM, Charles Curley wrote:
> I have a bunch of MP3s I'd like to stream on my home network from a
> Debian Squeeze box. I have icecast2 installed and running, but how do I
> proceed from there? I've found a lot of different instructions on the
> net, but all the ones I've tried break, always with a cryptic error
> message.

If you want to be a digital DJ over the net, I don't have help for you.
If you just want access to your music library externally, might I
suggest www.subsonic.org for a nice open source piece of joy?  It
supports just about every audio format I've thrown at it. You can even
get video streaming over it, though that's not it's forte and isn't
great, but it works.  The settings configuration is versatile in its
control of users and transcoding options so you can do it easy or you
can get nitty gritty with it.  It is free unless you want to do some
feature like stream to the Android/iOS/WinPhone apps or do some extra
web service-ish things.

-Tod Hansmann