Streaming MP3s from Debian Squeeze

Matt Melvin rage_311 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 27 14:47:50 MDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Charles Curley
<charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> I have a bunch of MP3s I'd like to stream on my home network from a
> Debian Squeeze box. I have icecast2 installed and running, but how do I
> proceed from there? I've found a lot of different instructions on the
> net, but all the ones I've tried break, always with a cryptic error
> message.

Using icecast as the output device from MPD has worked well for me in
the past.  Have you tried that route?  Here's some official MPD
documentation describing how to do that:
http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Configuration#IceCast

It's been a while since I've set that up myself, but I don't remember
it being too difficult to get working.

MPD also has built in HTTP-streaming support, which is the next
section on that page.  I haven't tried that route myself, but it might
be worth looking at.  With either method, just use your typical MPD
client to control the playback.