Open Source CAD recommendations for network planning?

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 20:03:42 MDT 2013

Hello everyone,

Has anyone had a chance to try some of the open source CAD applications out
there?

Our fiber to the home project is about to launch, and as part of it we will
need to site survey each block and do some general, civil engineering type
tasks.

There is no budget for AutoCAD and even if there were, the government here
has a law stating that in all cases where there are suitable open source
alternatives, the open source product must be chosen,

Most drafting here is still done by draftsmen with pen, paper and ruler.  I
still get strange looks when I pull a laptop out of my bag and use it for
something other than facebook or youtube :)

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!