OT: Website Needs

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 16:36:39 MDT 2013

On 04/26/2013 04:00 PM, Nathan England wrote:
> I have a friend who writes articles and has several hundred word documents that he
> has accumulated over the years. He wants to put the articles on a website where
> others can easily download them.
>
> Naturally I would like to be able to search the documents, but he doesn't care
> about that. He wants them listed in categories or folders and easy to navigate.
>
> Short of a regular page with  a link to a php directory listing of his folders and files,
> can you offer any suggestions?

Perhaps Google Docs would act as a good repository for his documents.
He can create a page that links to them, or offer a whole folder for
browsing and searching, all within Google Docs.

Alternatively he could convert them to html and offer them as static web
pages.  This would have the benefit of being searchable with standard
search sites, and allow people to browse his articles without having to
download a doc file (potentially dangerous for netizens to do!) and open
them in a word processor.  Perhaps a CMS could host this and even allow
posting of comments if he wished that.

Posting the doc or odt files and listing them in an html index file
works, but it would never be my first choice if I were a potential
browser of his documents.  Just seems a bit cumbersome.