Another ISP thread...

Robert Fleming rob at unixadministrator.org
Thu Apr 25 13:46:40 MDT 2013

On 4/24/2013 5:31 PM, Jima wrote:
> On 2013-04-24 08:27, Dennis Muhlestein wrote:
>> Hm, for me I don't host anything, but I do occasionally connect from the
>> outside with ssh and/or vnc.  So even if my ip address isn't static, I
>> need to be able to forward ports in.  I'm not sure even that'll work
>> though with Comcast residential.  Maybe I could us a dynamic dns service
>> perhaps.  But this is somewhat an issue unfortunately still.
>
>  Port-forwarding and dynamic DNS should serve those needs perfectly
> fine; it's what I did the last time I was on Comcast residential (and
> Charter, for that matter).  The only issue you'd run into is if you
> need the same ports going multiple place (e.g., two web servers, etc).
>
>      Jima

I'm on CC and have the hosted stuff here.  Dyndns works great with one
caveat.  If the area you are in is heavily used and they are rotating
dhcp leases and you need to leave them open.  Say an ssh session for a
couple hours.  You might find that you get booted every now and again.
Other than that mine has been up for 6 years this way.  I host some
basic web apps and use it for testing remotely when I need it.

The limitation you will have is that you won't get huge uplink unless
you go with business class.  They keep that pretty low.