Another ISP thread...

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Wed Apr 24 18:41:07 MDT 2013

On 4/24/2013 8:41 AM, Steve Meyers wrote:
> On 4/24/13 6:44 AM, Jima wrote:
>>     You do need the /30 for a couple of those, actually.  There are ways
>> around the others (like a transparent bridging firewall).
>>
>>     With IPv6, the point-to-point subnet is actually MORE important, not
>> less.  Have you ever dealt with an on-link /48?  It's clear evidence
>> that whoever architected the ISP's IPv6 deployment had little idea what
>> they were doing.  The only way around it is rather unpleasant hacks --
>> not hypothetically speaking.
> I completely agree with Jima.  Tod, I'll diagram it out for you at the
> next PLUG meeting. :)
>
> Steve
Having not slept since Monday night, all of this is making less and less
sense as we go.  I may well need a diagram to clear it up after I get
some sleep.  My mind just keeps going in circles usually because I
somehow get thinking about point-to-point T1s as an example of
something, and then can't remember what.  I'll happily admit I may be
saying something incredibly stupid.  I can say with certainty, sleep or
no, that my 27/7 is much nicer than my 7/.8

It's one of those days =cP

-Tod Hansmann