Another ISP thread...

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Tue Apr 23 19:18:35 MDT 2013

On 4/23/2013 6:44 PM, Jima wrote:
> On 2013-04-23 17:59, Dennis Muhlestein wrote:
>> On 4/16/13 5:04 PM, Ryan Simpkins wrote:
>>> On Tue, April 16, 2013 16:06, Dennis Muhlestein wrote:
>>>
>>> Recently I've been happy with Comcast. Despite their questionable business
>>> practices, the actual product is quite functional. I just got upgraded last
>>> night and tested a solid 55Mbps down and 10Mbps up. 40ms to the work VPN. I've
>>> had a few minor outages. That's a typical issue with them it seems. Of course
>>> with all things Comcast - YMMV.
>>>
>> Do any of you have static ip addresses with Comcast?  Did you have to
>> pay extra?
>    With Comcast?  Last I checked (a few years ago, in Minnesota), that
> would require a business-class account, which is more expensive per
> month for less bandwidth, and is subject to a (at the time) $250
> "installation fee" -- actually more like an activation fee, since you
> have to pay it even if you already have coax.  And yes, you have to pay
> extra per month for the static IPs.
>
>    On the plus side, unlike their residential offerings, their
> business-class connections have always been exempt from the metering and
> caps.

I got Comcast Business this morning, actually.  So far, I have a 27/7
line and it goes quite a bit faster than that most times.  You also get
wire priority over residential customers, which is nice (I needed low
latency upload, I'm so sorry, Xmission, I love you!). The static IPs
work as you expect.  This is in contrast to their business fiber, which
can be a bit wonky (you get a /30 that you don't pay for as a
"management" subnet and your /29 or whatever is routed to your
management IP.  Odd, but it works great thus far.)

It is pricier, obviously, but you get what you pay for and it's
affordable in my opinion, where I'm biased toward internet being
extremely important to me.  You get higher commitments on uptimes and
response times to issues.  Be aware that you do have a contract (1-3
years) and install fee (longer contracts get less install fee, starting
at $199), which are typically waved in residential installs, or have
been for my neighbors at least.

We'll see how well their service continues, but so far no issues.

-Tod Hansmann