Another ISP thread...

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Tue Apr 23 18:44:25 MDT 2013

On 2013-04-23 17:59, Dennis Muhlestein wrote:
> On 4/16/13 5:04 PM, Ryan Simpkins wrote:
>> On Tue, April 16, 2013 16:06, Dennis Muhlestein wrote:
>>
>> Recently I've been happy with Comcast. Despite their questionable business
>> practices, the actual product is quite functional. I just got upgraded last
>> night and tested a solid 55Mbps down and 10Mbps up. 40ms to the work VPN. I've
>> had a few minor outages. That's a typical issue with them it seems. Of course
>> with all things Comcast - YMMV.
>>

> Do any of you have static ip addresses with Comcast?  Did you have to
> pay extra?

  With Comcast?  Last I checked (a few years ago, in Minnesota), that
would require a business-class account, which is more expensive per
month for less bandwidth, and is subject to a (at the time) $250
"installation fee" -- actually more like an activation fee, since you
have to pay it even if you already have coax.  And yes, you have to pay
extra per month for the static IPs.

  On the plus side, unlike their residential offerings, their
business-class connections have always been exempt from the metering and
caps.

      Jima